Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Some Things Never Change and Some Things Remain the Same

I watched Mask this evening; not The Mask, but Mask. The story about a teenage boy with a rare growth disease where his skull was growing at a faster rate than the rest of him; this made his face look deformed. It was originally released in the 70's and stars Cher, Eric Stoltz and Sam Elliott (one of my all time favourite hunks!). It really got to me, as much as it did when I saw it for the first time thirty years ago. I highly recommend it.
I got me thinking as well. Do you ever wonder what happened to some of the people that you knew when you were a kid? I'm talking elementary school aged. I remember this boy Blair who had a disease where his brain was growing faster than the rest of him. I remember him as a short skinny boy with a huge head. He may have died from that disease, or he could be the CEO os some huge company by now; who knows!

I remember this other boy named Warren. Red hair, a year or two older than me, and very nice. We'd talk for hours up in a tree on our block. I remember in one conversation we had, we both wanted the other one at our funeral; I felt that was very special at the time. Looking back, of course, it almost seems a bit eerie; I mean, who makes a guest list for their own funeral???? I suppose there's always one in the bunch somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home