Sunday, November 04, 2007

Any Advice Anyone?

I have a bit of a dilemma.
During the last month or two, my husband has been attending church (Christian) with which I do not have a problem. He finds it to be an outlet for some of his frustrations and he feels better about himself which I think is great. The problem is, he wants me to go as well. Now he has spoken of those that attend church and just give "lip service" and I feel that I wouldn't be sincere in going. I explained to him that there are those that like to pray with others, and those that prefer to do their worshipping in private. Well, I'm one of the ones that prefers privacy and I'm comfortable with that. His bigger concern is our young child who has been to a couple of services and attended a couple of Sunday school classes but is not all that interested in church and does not attend anymore. My husband feels that if I were to attend, then maybe our child would as well. I told him that there's no guarantee with that and I would be fine with our child deciding when they're older and can understand more about what going to church is all about. Our older child (midteens) isn't interested in church at all but does not dis the church or my husband.
What do you think? Is this one of those times that I should show my support by attending even though I feel my time would be better spent doing other things? I ask him about church and prayer meetings he attends and we talk about it a bit, but he also knows that I'm not nearly as interested as he is. Am I being selfish?

11 Comments:

Blogger alphonsedamoose said...

Mystica, I don't know if my last comment came through or not. I had trouble getting on your server.

Monday, November 05, 2007 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger alphonsedamoose said...

Mystica, the situation is a dilemma.Both Mrs. Moose and I are strong Christians. We sang in the choir and wrote plays, served on the board, and worked with Junior choir. Then , our denomination became too politically correct. They went in a direction, I could not follow, so I left. I am still a strong Christian. It is the personal relationship I have with God that counts. You can't force anyone to believe.
If you think it would help, have a prayer time with your husband and kids at home.The Bible says: where two or three are gathered in my name, there I will be too." It could be your own small church. Do you think this would be okay with your husband. We all come to Christ in our own way and our own time.
I hope this helps.
I;ll say a prayer for you.

Monday, November 05, 2007 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Mystica said...

Thank you Moose. I'll try that with him and I'll let you know how it goes.

Monday, November 05, 2007 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mystica, I'm glad Moose had some wise words for you. Aside from weddings and funerals I haven't been to church since Sunday school.

Monday, November 05, 2007 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger alphonsedamoose said...

I'll be waiting for the answer.

Monday, November 05, 2007 5:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mystica said...

Well Moose, he seemed to understand for the most part.
And, he's decided he wants to be baptized and has invited me and our kids to his baptism which we have agreed to attend. So, I feel I'm being supportive without feeling like I'm being forced to do something that I don't feel is right for me; I'm going merely for his sake, and I'm glad that our kids have agreed to go as well.
Thanks so much Moose. It's good to know that there are people like you out there - makes the world a better place.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Carol Kerfoot said...

I understand exactly how you are feeling. Well not exactly but sort of exactly.

I do not follow organized religion. I have my own personal beliefs.

However I do work in a location that is located in a Baptist Church. All the employees are Christian and the program itself is Christian based. ( I am contracted there if you are wondering how I got there in the first place) I respect their program and follow along in their prayer etc our of respect as I am a "visitor"

From what I have learned about Christianity I am sure your husband is worried about you and your children not serving Jesus and going to worship in the church. This is what they are taught to believe. Part of his "job" serving is to spread the word of Jesus Christ. His first priority would be his family.

I think supporting him in his faith is what is important. To encourage your children to do the same in this case is his job, but he must understand that they may not choose that path.

I would attend his Baptism to support him but stay strong to what you believe in. That is fair. Also expose your children to both sets of beliefs and ultimately they will choose as adults what path they will follow.

I know that Christianity is not for me but I would be fully supportive if any one of my children were to take that route.

Good luck :)

and I love the sound of a Moose singing.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger alphonsedamoose said...

Mystica. That is great news. If he wants to be baptized, good for him and good for you for supporting him.
As I said, everybody in their own time.
Keep us posted.
God bless.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honk Honk ... That's a moose singing. Or is it a goose singing?

Friday, November 09, 2007 5:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mystica said...

Thank you Moose, Babzy and Carol for your honesty - I value that greatly in anyone; real or in Bloggersville. I'm glad to hear that you understand - makes me feel better and I appreciate it.
Talk to you all soon.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:08:00 AM  
Blogger Catmoves said...

Hello mystica.
I think I may have been fortunate as a child, because many of my family members went to different churches (one a synagogue) and I wound up with a smattering of religions in my head. My learning was really a great experience that I learned to appreciate as I became an adult. Don't know if that would help your situation, but there you are.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 10:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home